Designing A Workable Home Office
Whether your home office is designated space for running a business, the occasional telecommute, or simply a nook for paying bills and organizing your schedule, you deserve more than a metal desk and extra chair stuffed into a spare corner. An office that reflects the design and comfort of the rest of your home is a place you’ll be happy spending the workday in. Here are some tips for creating a charming, but practical work space.
1. Location, location, location. You’ll likely spend many hours in your home office, and since you’re generating income, you deserve decent real estate. Some things to consider are traffic flow and your ability to withstand distractions. Do you work best in the thick of activity, or should your office be tucked away in a quiet space? Are there enough outlets to accommodate all your technology needs? Understand how you work – some people like to spread out, others work in a more contained way – which will dictate the size and configuration of desk you’ll require. Can your door be locked to keep others from wandering in while you’re on the phone? If clients will be stopping by, a private space on the main floor and equipped with seating is a must. Some people work best if there’s a view to the outside; others find that too much of a distraction.
2. When setting up your desk and shelves, consider your workflow and what items you need at your fingertips before investing in furniture, and then look for pieces that are functional and beautiful. Home office furniture should complement other rooms in your house instead of screaming “soulless cubicle.” If your home has traditional décor, warm wood shelving and a comfortable club chair are ideal if you have the space.
3. You need plenty of light – natural or ambient or both — to reduce eye strain. Position the computer monitor so there’s no glare from a window or overhead light, and add a small lamp on the desk for task lighting.
4. Windows provide more than just natural light. They can offer a great view, which some find inspiring, while others find it a distraction. They also provide a nice breeze in summer.
5. Accessories really make the space your own, and they should come out of your own unique style. A traditionalist might have china mugs to hold things, while a modernist will have clean-lined file folders and sleek leather notepads, and an artist will opt for colour-coordinated notepads and sticky notes. Whatever your style, hang inspirational art on the walls, travel photos of your favourite destinations, family photos to remind you who you’re doing this for.
Guaranteed A Fine Furniture has everything you need to design a functional space for you to conduct your everyday business. Come in and see our many modern and traditional pieces that can help you turn an under-utilized space into a perfect home office. We can help with lighting, accessories, accent pieces and wall art to make your home office one you will enjoy working in.
Guaranteed A Fine Furniture 4735 Tecumseh Road. East Windsor, Ontario, Canada N8T 1B6
OUR ADDRESSGuaranteed A Fine Furniture
4735 Tecumseh Rd. E.,
Windsor, ON Canada
Toll Free:(888) 343-4233
STORE HOURSOpen daily to 7pm
Thursday and Friday to 9pm
Saturday to 6pm and Sunday 12 to 4pm
Summer Hours: Closed on Sundays from July 1st to Sept.1st
4735 Tecumseh Rd. E.,
Windsor, ON N8T 1B6
Phone: (519) 948-1646
Toll Free: (888) 343-4233
Fax: (519) 948-1297
Monday10:00am - 7:00pm
Tuesday10:00am - 7:00pm
Wednesday10:00am - 7:00pm
Thursday10:00am - 9:00pm
Friday10:00am - 9:00pm
Saturday10:00am - 6:00pm
Sunday12:00pm - 4:00pm
Closed on Sundays